Wednesday 5 June 2013

Dear diary, 

I don't know what to do.  I have tried to make my parents understand that I do not love him nor want to marry him but they will not listen.

I am going to have an arranged marriage that my parents have planned for me; I hardly know him and yet I am supposed to spend the rest of my life with him.  My friends can marry whoever they want without the fear of being judged and shamed. Why can't I have the same? I want the chance to live my life the way I want it; I want to travel, study and have fun while I can.  I will not have this chance if I marry.

How am I expected to marry and spend the rest of my life with a man that I do not love? It feels like I am talking to a brick wall.  My parents listen but do not hear what I have to say.  They respond by saying that it is the right thing to do for my family.  I understand that but isn't it also important to do what's right for myself? I have thought of every possible way out of this but nothing will work.

I don't know what to do, it doesn't feel like I have a choice.  I must get married for my parents, whether I am happy or not.

KC

2 comments:

  1. Well done! A good effort here, a very real dilema for many. Perhaps you could reflect on the husband-to-be's view? Or perhaps a another post a few years on looking back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really good diary entry, you have captured well the feelings of the person!
    I would like to see her parents feelings, and why they want her to have an arranged marriage.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete