Friday 17 May 2013

Blog: Multifaith Marriage, Conversion, Children - HH

This weeks Daybreak topic is issues in a multi-faith society, especially in relationships. I asked you to send in your veiws and the response was huge.
  
The first issue I came across alot, to do with multi faith marriages. One letter I recieved was from a jewish boy call Isacc who wants to marry his muslim girlfriend. He wrote saying " It's really hard because I love my girlfriend but my family mean alot to me to. They want me to marry a jewish girl as that is what my religion says is best for me. Either way I willl end up upsetting both of them." As you can see this is a very big dilemma. Isacc will either end up upsetting his family or his girlfriend. This would be a very hard decision for anyone to make, and I wish you all the best, whatever the outcome.
    
The next issue I came across was conversion. Many relationships have two people of diffrent religions or one person religious and the other not. This can be very conflicting as they have diffent views on their faith. I recieved a letter from Claire, who is not religious, who is going out with a catholic boy, John, who is trying to convert her to catholicism. She said " I really love my boyfriend, but it's hard.I have never had a religion before and I don't want to change." This is a hard issue because Claire wants to please her boyfriend, but she doesn't want to have a faith. This issue is very common in our multi religious society and I believe the best solution is talking it out.
  
Our final issue is bringing up of children in a multi-faith society. Many faiths have diffrent views on how they should raise there children. I had a letter from a catholic and muslim couple. Rose is a catholic girl, who is pregnant with her muslim husband Tamwar. Rose said " Me and Tamwar have been discussing the faith of our child since I found out I was pregnant. We both want diffrent faiths for our child, and it is causing arguments between us." Faith is a big part in bringing up a child, but the most important thing is that the child is healthy, then to discuss the faith of the child.

H.H
  

2 comments:

  1. This is proper Daybreak style! Some really interesting 'nuggets' of information. However could you have had a more indepth interview?

    You've highlighted some of the problems, are there any possible solutions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good post and detailed interview. I like how you have incorporated more than one key issue and tried to give a possible solution. Well done! J.S

    ReplyDelete