Monday 20 May 2013

Arranged Marriage - RF


Arranged marriage in a multi-faith society

Dear diary,

I don’t want to marry him, I don’t. I spoke to my older sister, Aisha, she is married and has been for 3years now, mum and dad arranged her marriage to a young man from a family relations friend, Aisha was only 18 at the time and Raj was 22 when they married. Aisha didn’t mind the marriage at the time as she liked Raj, and they got on well, but I don’t even know the man I’m marrying, his name is Alee, and he’s  20,  so only a year older than me. I will meet Alee for the first time at our engagement celebration like Aisha did, as it’s a family tradition.

I tried to speak to mum, asking if I could just meet him, to get to know him, but she says I have my whole married life to get to know him. I’m sick of “tradition”, I want to fall in love just like in the movies, rather than be told who you should love. Aisha says you get to know your new husband quickly, but she was lucky that Raj and her get on, what if my fiancé has nothing in common with me , or he stops me from doing the things in like?

I’m so scared, no one at collage has these problems, and they can do what they want, I can’t even wear shorts in the sun. I want to make my parents proud, and be a good daughter, but if this is how, I’m not too sure. It’s only a week to the wedding, and in will meet Alee in 2 days, so there’s no backing out now. I suppose I’ve got to go with it, let’s hope it turns out for the best like, Aisha and Raj.

Anyway going to bed now, Night.

3 comments:

  1. This is very good - well done! It is a very tough situation for young people involved in arranged marraiges.

    It would be interesting to hear Alee's feelings too? Do you think he is worried? I wonder what a follow up post, maybe 6/12months down the line would read like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very well written diary entry with lots of creative thought!
    It is very realistic too

    It really shows the hardship young women and men face in arrange marriages

    Maybe you could have talked about how she feels now towards her religion and traditions? Will she still follow family traditions in the future? Has it questioned her faith? Would she follow this tradition with her own daughter in the future

    ReplyDelete