Tuesday 21 May 2013

Muslims and Terrorism VK


VK

Muslim….. Terrorist

These words somehow seem to go hand in hand. Why do people think that every Muslim is a terrorist, an evil mastermind, wanting to kill?

I have faced this issue all of my life. I remember once, passing through airport security, feeling ashamed and alone. The security men would whisper to each other as soon as walked up to the security screening. Them looking me up and down and giving me filthy looks. They always stopped and searched me, always, asking me more questions than any other passenger. Once through to the airport lounge, passengers would be sacred as soon as I walked away and left my bag whilst going to the loo, thinking a giant bomb was inside, waiting to explode. Do you know how horrible that feeling is? People actually believing that you are here to ruin lives, to blow up buildings. It makes me feel so sad.

The airport is not the only example of this. Travelling to work is a problem too. I work in London and take the tube to work. Every time there is a security threat, passengers automatically look at me and pin the blame just because of my religion. They all seem to think I would want to hurt others. Yes Muslims have been terrorists before but does that mean everyone is? Not every Christians is kind and nice.

I wish attitudes and beliefs would change. I really hope people soon see that Muslim people are not all terrorists, that they are just normal human beings living their lives!

Why is this world full of judgement and prejudice?

Ahmed

3 comments:

  1. A good reflection, well done. I think this more a problem in America, but certainly after July 7th bombings things were hightened in London too.

    How could the govenment or councils try to work to combat this? The view of a security guard could be an interesting viewpoint?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good and interesting! It is really emotive and I agree that it would be a good idea to see what the security guard's viewpoint on this issue :) EN

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really good, it really shows the feelings which Muslims feel, and the hurt causes by stereotyping them, and I agree you could write about other peoples opinions of the situation RF

    ReplyDelete