Thursday 23 May 2013

Bringing Up Children in a Multi-Faith Society - ES

I am going to be taking the role of a Catholic Christian Mother who is worried about her children questioning the Roman Catholic faith and the existence of God.

Dear diary, 
                  I have made a huge mistake, ever since I allowed Lucy and Oliver to go to a mixed faith secondary school they have been questioning our faith. I was having second thoughts at the time, I should have just followed my instincts and sent them to a Roman Catholic school. 
                  It was a few weeks ago, I wasn't paying attention but they were discussing their school day over dinner and gradually they got on the subject of their Muslim friends Abdul, Nafiah and Rashida (I think these are their names) and they began telling me about their culture and traditions. I wasn't really paying attention at the time as I was doing some cleaning, until they began asking me "does God really exist?" and "could Allah be the true God?" I brushed it off but ever since they've been questioning me on how I know God exists and why I don't believe in Allah. I brush it off and try to change the subject but they're at that time in life where they have all these questions and decisions to make. 
                  I know for a fact going to both a Roman Catholic Primary and Secondary school was one of the best experiences of my life, and it brought me closer to God as my faith grew over the years. However, I'm worried Oliver and Lucy are going to disagree with our faith, and now I feel they've missed out on a wonderful Christian Catholic upbringing. One of my tasks in life was to spread the word of God and now I feel I've failed. John (my husband) doesn't seem to be concerned, however lately I've been quite upset about the whole situation. I mean I've been trying to teach them to follow the Christian faith for the first 11 years of their life, and now they've only been at Secondary school for several months and they're already questioning our faith. I don't know whether to feel extremely proud of their intelligence and strength to explore other faiths or whether I have failed to raise them as good Catholics who believe in God. I was certain I was going to send them to a Roman Catholic Secondary school but I felt bad I was separating them from their friends, although now I feel I've made a bigger mistake.
                 I always knew I would face issues when raising my children in a multi-faith society, however nowadays I just feel they're slipping away from God and not appreciating the things he has and is doing for us. I know I cannot force them to be a Catholic Christian, but if there was just a way I could get through to them so they too believe God has and always be there for them, of course I would do it. I just pray that God will reach out to them and help them to discover their faith once again. 


                                                                                                                                              ES

                                                                                                                                          
                                                                                                            

2 comments:

  1. A fascinating insight - a real worry for parents I'd imagine.

    Many would argue that its right to question and that may lead to a stronger faith, some would say Catholic schools do not educate children about other faiths well enough. What do you think about these points?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fascinating insight into what I can imagine to be a common issue in a multi ethnic society like the UK. I feel it is important for growing religious children to develop an understanding of other faiths and question their own. JN

    ReplyDelete