Thursday 23 May 2013

Not a Terrorist


Not a terrorist. Well, since the last time I checked. I am no threat. I am no trouble maker. I don’t even litter, ever!
I’ll set the scene; I’m travelling to New York for a business meeting, my job requires me to travel all around the world and it’s brilliant. Well, except for one aspect. I am not a man known for his punctuality. Due to this, I tend to end up sprinting to the airport, praying I’ll catch my flight. Oh, how foolish of me. As I stand in line, I see him. The security guard. I frantically look around me, hoping there’s another person who looks of the Muslim descent, selfishly needing the guard to pounce on them instead of me. There is no one, a large, white man in front of me, a tanned, Spanish-looking family behind. Let the ‘random’ searching begin. He approaches and I sigh, “Hello Sir!” he says, “ you've been selected for our random search, do you mind if I scan you and search your bags, it won’t take long.”
“Actually…” I begin to reply but he had already started. The same routine, the same questions. My replies are fast and snappy, as I know almost all of them by heart. I’m done in record time and there’s still time to catch my flight.
I rush towards the gate, relieved. That’s when I see her. It’s too late for me to rush off, I can’t afford to look suspicious. “Hello Sir,” she begins, as she repeats the same line that I had heard only 2 minutes previously. “How random,” I thought to myself, “I just experienced déjà vu.”
I missed my flight and I missed my meeting.
I get a phone call that night from my boss. I explained the situation, he’d heard it all before. “Maybe leave the turban at home next time, buddy.” I hang up the phone. I think about what I just heard. His lack of decency. His patronizing use of the word ‘buddy’. How offensive.
I rang him the following morning, informing him that I quit and I’ll be staying in the hotel and using the all-inclusive perks, as planned. I told him I’d send him a postcard from the Empire State Building, maybe attach a novelty pen along with it. I told him I’d remember to leave my turban at home, to avoid any inconveniences. I told him some things I should be ashamed of but I’m definitely not. I told him.

So, just to recap. Muslim, not a terrorist. Not a threat, just a victim of media, assumptions and just plain ignorance.

GH

2 comments:

  1. A good effort here - I like the real life situation that you have included. Probably, sadly very true.

    It would be interesting to hear an insight from the security guard, why did he pick you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very well written. You have really shown understanding of this topic by describing what a Muslim person would feel like walking through an airport.

    This is also very realistic and has shown your creativity.

    To improve, I suggest looking at the point of views of the security guard or even someone watching the conversation occur.

    JH

    ReplyDelete