Saturday 18 May 2013

Muslim & Christian Marriage - MG

I will be writing a diary entry as a young Muslim girl dealing with the problems faced when different views from different religions collide within society:

Dear Diary,

I told everyone at school today about my parent's plans for me. Honestly, I was really surprised at their reaction! They said it wasn't normal for your parents to choose who you marry, and that you should only marry someone you love! They said that my marriage will be forced, not arranged. But all my friends are Christian, and their parents don't care who they marry. They don't understand the Muslim culture. 

Although I told my friends what they said was offensive, their opinions made me think. I mean, I've never met Abdul before. What if I don't like him? He could be really boring, or annoying, or grumpy. We might not have anything in common.

But my parents know what's best for me. They've met him and they say he's nice. They would NEVER marry me to someone I wouldn't like. NEVER.

I still worry, though. Sometimes, I imagine what it would be like to be a Christian, and not have to marry Abdul. I would be able to marry whoever I choose. None of my friends are even thinking about marriage yet. It might be nice to go out and meet new people before I get married. 

I know that what Mum and Dad have done for me will provide me with a stable future, but talking to my friends has really opened my eyes to different beliefs and faiths. In a way, I'm glad I am able to talk to my friends to help me understand different religions. It has really widened my cultural knowledge within society.

Sincerely, Aisha

M.G.

2 comments:

  1. This is excellent! A really thoughtful diary entry. I like how you have begun to explore the two sides.

    Could there be a follow up, perhaps after the wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this because it shows you how important friends are and, the fact that the issue isn't about racism or a lack of community integration but an arranged marriage by her parents, makes it an extremely clever message! AB :)

    ReplyDelete