Friday 24 May 2013

Peace ☮


Dear Diary,

 It’s Monday 15th April 2013. Something major happened today. Two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston marathon. I don’t know exactly what’s happened yet, nothing’s been said, but I know that a lot of people have got hurt. I can’t even begin to imagine the terror those people faced and what their families must be going through. But the one thing that annoys me is that people automatically assume that Muslim’s are to blame. Even before anything has been reported or said, the Muslim’s always get the blame. I understand that because of previous events, people would jump to that conclusion but is it always right?

Growing up as a Muslim girl, people haven’t always been afraid to tell me what they think about my race or my religion (if you get what I mean). I’ve always known that there are Muslim extremists, who are power crazy, but people need to understand that not all Muslims are like this. If anything, I’m completely against terrorists and I hate what they do. Muslims are supposed to be caring and trustworthy people, yet some feel the need to cause harm to others to show power, which is disgusting. But, the media and society never really ask other Muslims what their feelings towards extremist’s actions, so people assume that we agree with what they do.

I want to be able to walk down a street wearing my hijab proudly, without being shouted abuse. Nobody shouts at Christians for wearing religious jewellery, so how is it fair that Muslims get abused for being proud of their religion? I wish the world, would just be simple. A place where people wouldn’t judge and hate on others because of their religion or race. I wish that there could be peace. Just as Jimi Hendrix once said, ‘When the power of love, overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.’

N.K  

2 comments:

  1. A great reflection - like the quote! Very true.

    Obviously this was the initial reaction, and then the bombers were found to be 'claiming' to be Muslim. How do you think this would make the girl feel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting and insightful blog post.
    I love the Jimi Hendrix quote.

    ReplyDelete