Friday 17 May 2013

Blog: Interfaith Marriage & Children - JS

This week i decided to write about issues in a multifaith society as i feel that it has become a more common problem these days. I am specifically going to talk about what religion to bring your children up in. This is a common problem. I spoke to several people and one person said:                     

'I have been raised a Catholic since I was born, but my husband is Jewish. I have always been open about other religions and my husband is happy to raise our daughter as a catholic. However, it has caused a lot of upset and tension on his side of the family. I think that they automatically thought that we were going to raise her as Jewish. '
This is a common problem and can put a strain on marriages, especially when it creates upset between families. The best thing to do is sit down with the whole family and discuss the issue. Remeber that it is your child and that you shouldn't be forced to do something that you don't want to. As long as your child is happy and taught morals then that it is the most important thing. You may chose to bring them up in one religion, but you can always talk to your children about the other religion as well.

Also, there are many problems in relationships where people are only allowed to marry someone from the same religion.

Cornelia said: 'I have had several issues involving my relationship with Syed who is muslim. His family isn't very happy with our relationship and it is causing a lot of stress.'

This is a very difficult topic and is best to sit with the family and have a discussion about how important it is for you to all get along and how important your relationship is.
 
 
J.S.

2 comments:

  1. A key issue here where I think you could have extended the interview with some more probing questions... will there be a follow up?

    Please check spelling/punctuation when posting online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this a very good blog post, it shows a multi-faith issue with a suitable solution! well done - HH

    ReplyDelete