Wednesday 22 May 2013

An overview on life in England

Britain is portrayed as a multi-cultural and faith society, but what has become of this image? My religion brings great torment to my life it would appear and judgment at each new page I try to turn. I had come to England to study at the University of Bristol, assuming that I would make friends easily, gain a better knowledge of the language and settle into the housing I myself paid for. I did not claim any ‘state benefits’ as you call them, and nor did I require any additional help settling in. However, despite being self-sufficient, I have yet to make anything more than acquaintances. It may be because I’m quiet; the fact that I am not the one to start a conversation or even to end one. My appearance is greatly respected in my home country of Saudi Arabia and all men are required cover themselves from shoulder to knee and wear plain clothing; no silk, the colours red or gold and trousers below the ankle.

Daily I face crude comments and suspicious glances from people everywhere I go; security guards in shops, police officers patrolling the street, porters in hospitals and staff at the airports. I can hear the whispering behind my back; the name calling, rude gestures, hurtful and degrading comments. It would appear that my faith is of great significance to everyone here, but for all the wrong reasons. No one I’ve met has taken any notice other than to turn their nose up at me, or from what I can tell since it is required for my gaze to be lowered at all times. Racism takes on many different forms and unfortunately, some don't even realise they are taking part in an sometimes illegal offence.

I feel like an outcast in what is supposed to be an accepting and inviting place that I chose to come to based on my studies and my older brother, who emigrated to this country about 4 years ago and has since made a family for himself. He 'gave up’ his religion of Islam if that is even possible, just to be with his now wife. I know that Allah would forgive him. My parents have banished him from the family… I hope he is happy with his Christian wife. My life is made quite awkward sometimes by the fact I am required to pray 5 times a day…wherever I am at daybreak, noon, mid-afternoon, sunset and evening. I speak Arabic during these intimate prayer times- I honor my traditions.

I know now that without 'friends at this time', staying here will be hard for me. I feel forced out of the country purely on the basis that I love my God so therefore I am a practicing Muslim, I appear different and speak a foreign language as my first language. Many Englishmen cannot understand the way I live my life. I knew when I came here that the most practised religion was not Islam, but Christianity. I have no problems with other religions- each person can believe in their own God or even no God at all. A way of life is your own choice. Religion unites communities of people in times of trouble, grief and happiness. I have recently been in contact with a Muslim society for males here. They are much more accepting and understanding and they too have said that they have, and still experience racism and false accusations based on their beliefs.

Never judge a book by its cover. A truly false statement for many western countries, but one that can hopefully be rectified and England grows ever more in different faiths.

"Islam teaches tolerance, not hatred;universal brotherhood, not enmity; peace, and not violence."

-Pervez Musharraf

S.G

2 comments:

  1. This is excellent! A really well written piece of writing which covers lots of areas. You have explored the issues of multi-faith Britain well.

    Perhaps a follow up post from a few months/years down the line... does your character manage to fit in or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing piece of writing showing the troubles that Muslims have throughout their daily lives as they live in Britain. I agree that you have shown a lot of areas as well.

    Maybe show what the other people who are giving 'crude comments' and 'suspicious glances' think about your character for another blog post?

    OK :)

    ReplyDelete