Sunday 19 May 2013

Muslim & Catholic Marriage - SOK

Dear Diary,

I am so confused. This morning, I was discussing wedding arrangements with my fiancĂ© Abdul-Rashid who is a Muslim. He wants to have a traditional Muslim wedding in a mosque but I prefer a Catholic one because I have been a Catholic all my life and my whole family are Catholics as well. I really want any children we have to be baptized, brought up in the Catholic faith and have the Catholic education. Even the Roman Catholic Church says that if one parent is Catholic, all children in that relationship should also be brought up in the Catholic faith. Abdul-Rashid however, wants them to be Muslim as in their religion they believe that the children should follow their father’s faith. I can’t imagine my beautiful future kids being forced to wear headscarves to conceal their lovely hair and wear clothes up to their ankles and wrists all the time-even during summer! It just wouldn’t be fair on them or me because he would try to convert me to Islam. I am seriously having second thoughts…

Maybe this marriage isn’t going to be such a good idea. It would put a lot of strain on both of us and our children. I don’t think this marriage will work, so it’s probably best to end it now. I will talk to him this evening. I should have thought about this before. This is a lesson for everyone and an experience for me.

Goodnight diary,

Amanda
S.O.K. 

3 comments:

  1. A good, thoughtful post. It shows good knowledge and links back to prior learning too.

    How does the other person in all this feel? Is there any possible solutions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so thought provoking. How about writing from Abdul-Rashid's mum's point of view. I wonder what she'd think?
    Ms McCartney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's really good and interesting and shows how much pressure people from different faiths can be put under. I like when you said 'This is a lesson for everyone and an experience for me' as it shows that people are learning about the other faith. JF

    ReplyDelete