Saturday 12 October 2013

Don't Turn Away


Sometimes I wonder what it’s like to be God…have you? If you are God, you are constantly barraged with the wailing and weeping of those in pain and loss. Not a moment goes by that isn’t laced with the sound of tragedy and death. Although what I want to know is what does God do about it? Does He just sit there and wait until it blows over? Or does He act upon it. The reason why I’m asking this is because all I can see is water. There’s mud. There’s smoke. There’s nothing left of my house or my family. Where God was today and what was He doing?

The Lord reigns forever, executing judgment from his throne. He will judge the world with justice
and rule the nations with fairness (Psalm 9:7-8). So I guess the answer to “where was God on 26/12/04?” should be simple. He was where He always is. He is on the Throne of heaven where He always has been and always will be. He is perfect, so it is impossible for Him to operate outside the parameters of justice and fairness. God cannot interfere with the free will of other people. He has granted them that in hope that they will make the right choices. Although if He is in heaven what is doing to stop this? That is even if He’s there. Surely He must be? If he is omniscient as I believed He was then why didn’t He prevent this? He is meant to be all powerful yet can’t stop a tragedy such as this. We can’t say He caused it but we can say why isn’t He helping?

I’ve lived my whole life as a catholic I’ve always thought that God is going to be there for me although after the events of today I’m not so sure anymore. Why would God let innocent people die? Why would He create a wave so deadly and disrupting? He created this world why would create so that on boxing day a tsunami will wipe across my country? Have people sinned? Is this God’s punishment? I don’t get why...

 This is one of the most difficult truths about God to wrap our heads and hearts around, but it remains a truth regardless of our understanding or agreement. God is God, and we are not. God is good all the time because that is His nature. So whereas most people may turn away from God after an act of evil, I will turn to Him. I will look for comfort in the Lord and hopefully realise that today has happened for a reason. I’m not sure what they reason is by God wouldn’t act this extreme for nothing. Maybe it’s a message? Or a sign?

The events that transpired yesterday were one of the darkest of my life. My faith was put to the test but the dark memories of this great tragedy remind you of Jesus’ incredible promise: Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life” (John 8:12). So we need to remember God is omnipresent He is everywhere. He was with  all of them people yesterday guiding the people to heaven. I hope one day God will help me with that journey.
RG

1 comment:

  1. A very powerful read, your character had a lot of strength in their faith. How about others? Did his/her family feel the same? Did they all keep their faith?

    ReplyDelete