Thursday 17 October 2013

The Volcano

I had everything I could ever want; my family, friends, a house, money and I had all this in our paradise. Our paradise however had one flaw, the volcano. Yes it's seems crazy now that we would build up our whole town and our whole lives right next to a volcano but it had been dormant for over 300 years and well it couldn't possibly erupt after 300 years of dormancy, could it? We were so very wrong, but what do people know, we shouldn't have to know when we have a omniscient, all seeing/all knowing, God. I always believed that if anything traumatic happened God would be there to protect us, I'd prayed to him every morning and night since I could talk but where was he when I needed him on the fateful day that changed everything?

When I awoke that morning nothing was different or strange but by midday it became very dark, never in our lives had we seen it dark before the sun had set, something was wrong. Then we heard it, there was a great bang and clouds of ash billowed up into the air, the evacuation sirens sounded and police frantically knocked on doors. She was going to blow and we didn't know when but we had to get out fast. We each grabbed a small bag or holdall and crammed in important possessions such as photos, jewelry, etc and made our way to the other end of the Island where my sister lived and she welcomed us with open arms. Just a few days after, the volcano blew and wiped out our homes, our crops, the airport, the shops, and well everything. Everything we had worked hard for was gone.

We couldn't go back to even see what was left because it was too dangerous, my happiness was wiped away along with our town. Every night I continued to ask God for something, anything, a sign just to let me know he was listening but nothing.If there was a God this natural evil wouldn't have been imposed on my family, my friends, and my village. If God was omnipotent and omnibenevolent like they say he is he would have loved us and been powerful enough to stop our pain but he didn't. Now we have nothing and I can't believe there is a God anymore.

MHG

1 comment:

  1. A great blog post - well done! Some very good questions raised here. It would be interesting to find out what happened to your character... did they return to their faith or not?

    ReplyDelete