Wednesday 23 October 2013


Natural Disaster- Hurricane

Entry 1

Dear Diary,

I am still hiding in our shelter, alone, cold and worried. I am waiting for the storm to pass; I can still hear the wind howling through what’s left of our village. I don’t know where my family is, I think I might have lost them.  For two hours I have been praying solidly, never in my life have I prayed so much. I pray repeatedly in my head ‘Please let them be safe’.

I was in the garden bringing in the washing  when the wind picked up, hair flapping in the wind, I stared up into the sky, and the sky was dark and gloomy, as if it was going to rain. Hurriedly I collected the washing in my basket and started to walk into the house. When suddenly something caught my eye, I stopped and stared open mouthed, I dropped my washing basket. I stood glaring at the ugly twister in the distance; it was dark and grey picking up whatever it could find on its travels. Bundles of hay started to roll towards it and that’s when I knew this was a matter of life or death. I ran inside and up the stairs to find nothing but empty rooms ‘Where are the children?!’ I gasped. I ran from door to door praying to find them. I couldn’t find my husband, Harry, either. Realising they were nowhere to be found, I gathered the items which I would treasure forever. I scooped up a family photo of me and my parents and one of my children, husband and I; and my large pot of money that I stored under my bed for safe keeping. Sprinting down the stairs I glanced around one last time to check if there was anyone there. I bounded out the door to try to get to the shelter.

Battling against the wind, dust and dirt flew into my eyes which made the situation even worse, I could barely see. ‘Almost there’ I thought to myself struggling towards the opening of the underground shelter. A few steps away from the doors, I reached out, straining to clench the handles. I took a few steps more and flung the doors open. I clambered in, the doors clattering in the viscous wind; it was a fight to close them because of the strong wind. Yet I managed. I sat down at the table in the corner of the room, considering whether to go out there again to find my family, but I came to a conclusion that I would not help as the wind was getting stronger and stronger and I would barely get anywhere because of the wind and I would most likely and up losing my life as well. So I sat for two hours praying solidly.

Entry 2

I fell asleep in the shelter, when I awoke I found that the hurricane had passed. Slowly and consciously I stepped out of the shelter to find that my house had been torn from where it used to stand. Tears fogged up my sight. I blinked to let the tears escape, and also to make my vision clearer, looking across land where houses used to stand happily, I saw the beautiful land which it once was, turned to a horrid wasteland. Where torn off parts of houses lay, and a child ran across the dry land screaming for her mother. I ran over to her and held her hand, I told her that we would find her mother and not to worry. I took her to a safety local shelter where she was re-united with her mother. With tears of joy streaming down their faces, they were over the moon to be together again. I turned to find the information desk, to ask whether my family had signed in. But to my utter dismay the office lady said there hadn’t been anyone who had signed in with my name.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaZyBhpHBKPRYJZ_2wipSilzDoyT-gT6MpW8L5WV0r2DjDtAT70gAt this point I turned to God and said ‘Why?, Why would you let this happen?’ Floods of tears ran down my cheeks. I realised they were gone. ‘If you are so strong and powerful, why did you let this happen?’ Since then I have doubted my faith and belief in God.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

H.H

1 comment:

  1. A very detailed and well written entry! You have described the situation very well. There is some good reflections on her faith. You can have asked more questions connected to God's characteristics.

    ReplyDelete