Friday 18 October 2013

Tsunami Terrors


One moment I was peaceful, my two little boys in my arms, playing happily on Holiday as any family should. Next moment, we were being washed away by a huge wave no one was expecting. Our holiday home was now flowing down the road, crashing into nearby trees which began to fall on top of us. I’d never been so scared before. My two little sons didn’t leave my arms luckily, and we escaped with only a few cuts and bruises, but that does not change how many lives were lost.

I prayed all throughout the terror, I asked God to save them, but so many lives were still lost and so I wondered, where was God when my husband and sons were at risk of death? Why didn’t he prevent this?

I have prayed all my life and believed God was there for me, I always believed he was omnibenevolent, that he was all loving, and when I had my sons I could have sworn I felt him beside me and so my faith became ever stronger, but since the incident, I fear I may have started to seep into Agnosticism. I believed God was omniscient meaning he was all seeing and knowing, but if this is true, how could anyone, even God, bear to let the dreadful Tsunami happen, bear to let all these lives end?

I do think I still love God, and I thank him for giving me my two wonderful sons, but the horror of the Tsunami my family was forced to witness has caused part of my faith to be ripped away because I cannot help but question where my Lord was when I needed him the most.

 ~ RJ

1 comment:

  1. A great blog post - well done! Some good reflections here... it would be interesting to see how the faith of your character developed in the long run - after this, is their faith stronger or weaker in God?

    ReplyDelete