Thursday 17 October 2013

Hurricane Katrina

In august 2005, my life changed forever. A deadly and destructive hurricane hit the United States. It stormed through my village, demolishing people’s homes and killing around 1,833 people in its path. I had never experienced a hurricane before so to see one do so much damage was daunting. All I could think to do was pray to God, to help me and give me some hope. Sure i had been confirmed and went to church every so often, but i had never really been a strong believer in God. I just prayed for God to have mercy on me and everyone around me. I prayed for a long time but it did not work. After about 5 hours, New Orleans had been completely taken off the map by the hurricane and the flooding. My village was torn to pieces; all that remained was rubble and lifeless bodies. I couldn't believe that in my time of need, God had not answered my prayers. Sure, God helped me to get through the hurricane but what about everyone else? What about all those people that deserved to live? All those people who prayed to God 3 times a day and went to church every Sunday? Why had he not helped them?


My faith was never strong before but since the disaster, I am done with my faith. God did not help those people through the toughest point in their life. God is meant to be all loving but yet he let all them people lose their lives to something He was powerful enough to stop.  

J.K

1 comment:

  1. A very good post - well done! Some good reflections here, and some good questions. It would be interesting to speak to your character a few months on... how would it effect them? Would they return to their faith, or are they done for good?

    ReplyDelete