Monday 21 October 2013


The day  that all hell broke loose

Exactly a year ago today the World Trade Centre was brought to destruction after a terrorist group reached their aim which was to kill as many American Citizens as possible. The day it happened I was in school in the middle of a chemistry class learning about what elements react better with others. Suddenly my principle comes into class and tells us that there is a terrorist attack on the WTC and the Pentagon.

Before that day I didn’t realise how much I take for granted.  I was so scared because I knew that my father was in the World Trade Centre.  My mother and I had no contact with him what so ever there was no mobile signal.   We were evacuated from school we were all huddled onto the tennis courts to be registered.

 Everyone around me was crying and screaming. There was white smoke everywhere that covered the roads like a blanket. I started panicking and then for the first time in my life I reached out to God, I discovered a faith that I never thought I would ever connect with. I suppose when you really want something you’ll do anything to make sure that everyone you love is safe.

That afternoon when I my mum and I were waiting to hear from my dad, we got a phone call saying that my father was dead. They said he was on the 37th floor and he wouldn’t have made it out anyway. If God is so omnipotent, all powerful then why didn’t he stop the bombers? If God is also omniscient, saw and knew what was going to happen then why didn’t he save my dad? If God is all loving why did he let the other people in the building lose their lives in such a tragic way?  What was the point in praying to God when I he didn’t do anything to help. He just let it all happen. Even today I struggle to reconnect with God, maybe it has something to do with all that happened on September 11th 2001.

This is a moral evil as the terrorists were responsible for all of those deaths and innocent lives lost.
 

 
KS

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. A powerful post - well done! I think 9/11 made a large number of people question their faith. It would be interesting to hear about your character 6-12months on.... how did he/she feel then?

    ReplyDelete