Tuesday 22 October 2013

Unexpected earthquake

One day I was farming my crops in the field, the sun was out and it was baking, I could feel my back burning while I was working away. Then suddenly, I saw a thick fog slowly appear before my eyes. I ignored it. Then, a few hours later the sky began to dim and I heard a huge bang, I began to get nervous. At first this noise lasted for only a few seconds, and then the sound became longer and lasted for minutes, the noise was similar to the sound of a freight train roaring past. By this time I was wondering away from the field back to my house where all my family were. When I was at home I could feel the ground shaking slightly, my lamp fell from my desk and by this time I knew this was the start of an earthquake. Some of my relatives were crying, I tried to comfort them, as I knew what I needed to do, so I shouted, “Everyone! Get under the table! Hold on to the table legs! Quick!” I’m sure by this time, everyone was panicking. The loud noises were drumming into your head, getting longer, louder, we all held hands and began to pray. All of my family were Catholics, so hopefully our strong beliefs were enough to save us all. But it wasn’t. Unfortunately, my mother, two brothers and cousin were killed. We all prayed to God as long and hard as each other, so why didn’t God save my family? My mother was the strongest believer I’d ever known and if she couldn’t be spared, I had no hope, no faith in God anymore, from this day. Because if God is as powerful as he says, why didn’t he stop the earthquake immediately? And if God is so loving, why did he let one of his strongest believers die? And if God knows and sees everything that’s happened and about to happen, surely he could have stopped this? Right?

I.M.

1 comment:

  1. A good blog post that raises lots of good questions - well done! It would be interesting to hear from your character 6months on... did they lose their faith or not?

    ReplyDelete