Sunday 20 October 2013

When faith is put to the test


My Faith Put to the Test

We Catholics believe that God is omnibenevolent (all loving), omnipotent (all powerful) and omniscient (all knowing). But today it felt like God wasn’t there at all. But maybe he did know what was happening. Maybe he left us alone because he knew he didn’t have enough power to save anyone. Like it was just by chance I survived, not that I can say the same about my family. Everyone is gone and I’m alone.

I sat on the roof of my house as it was swallowed by the water that filled our whole town and probably further. My parents and brother were stuck inside the house. Why didn’t God save them? If he is omnipotent like we believe, surely he should have had enough power to save everyone and also have had enough power to stop this flood from happening in the first place. We believe that God in omnibenevolent, but if he is all loving why are my family not with me. They were good people they did nothing wrong yet they’re gone.

I’ve lived my entire life as a catholic. When I have prayed I’ve never asked God for anything. I didn’t know how. Yet I knelt down and began to ask God for forgiveness and that he would end this suffering. But minutes later still nothing changed. I don’t believe my family or anyone in my town has ever sinned. We’re not greedy we live simple lives, yet when we ask God for one thing he doesn’t help. I don’t understand. I felt like I wasted my life on my religion.

Then I remembered what I read in the bible just a few days ago. Jesus said “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life” (John 8:12). This is saying that if we believe in God and Jesus then everything will be better in the end. The whole path seems dark when we believe God isn’t there but if we believe again then we will see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that was true.

As I woke the next day a found that things began to clear up the water was mostly gone and the sun was shining brighter than before and I realised that God does care. God is everywhere. He is always looking out for us and yesterday he was guiding all the people to heaven where they could look out for us as well as God. Then one day I hope he will guide me on that journey to heaven as well. I will always trust in God, even when things go wrong I know he will make them right in the end.
 
EN 

1 comment:

  1. This is a really excellent post - well done! Your character obviously has very strong faith. How do you think they would have responded to others around them that may have lost their faith?

    ReplyDelete