Saturday 12 October 2013

The journey to work


RE Creative Writing-

                                     The journey to work

 

I left my house this morning thinking that it would be a normal day at the office. I was wrong.

      I walked out my front door as I always did with my handbag in one hand and my mobile phone in the other. I lived near temple and I worked at Canary Warf. I had to get to work by train. It was a long walk from my house to temple tube station it took me about 30 minutes to get there, but I didn’t mind, it gave me fresh air before long hard day at the office. I got to temple tube station and as usual it was packed because of rush hour. I hated rush hour everybody barging past you running to get onto the train that was approaching but I had to get on with it.

   I scanned my oyster card and ran to catch the district line train going towards Upminster. For once I managed to get a seat. I pulled out my phone and started to listen to music. I was happy, I was on time for work, I got a seat on the tube and the tube wasn’t even that busy. I was three stops away from West Ham when I heard a terrible noise...

   It was so loud I could hear it over my music. It was like a big bang as if something had just exploded. I took out my earphones and looked around. Everyone on my carriage all had the same concerned and worried look on their faces. Suddenly there was another bang louder than the one before this time the bang was coming from the carriage I was in. Suddenly there was a glow of orange and I knew that the carriage was on fire.

   Everyone was screaming and crying. The carriage was filling up with smoke and the carriage was getting hotter. I started praying to God saying, “Please don’t let me die I have a whole life to live please help me to live”.

   I couldn’t help thinking things like, “Why is God letting this happen? If God is really omnipotent why doesn’t He send people to help us? If God is really omnibenevolent why is He putting all of these innocent people in pain” I knew there was a reason God made these people bomb the train but I couldn’t think why! All I could do is question my faith all I could think about is why God was letting this happen. Every time I heard someone cry all I could think was why is God letting all these innocent people be in pain.

   I survived the horrible ordeal. I came away with a few broken bones. I was one of the lucky ones I survived. Although the physical pain will go with time the mental pain will never be healed.

 

JW


1 comment:

  1. A very well written post - great creative writing skills, especially setting the scene. Terrorism, and the suffering that goes with it, always raises lots of questions. Did you character keep their faith or did they lose it? How did this effect them in the long run?

    ReplyDelete